Today I wanted to share with you one of my favorite Portuguese desserts – Torta de Laranja (Orange Torte). Simply explained, its a very moist roll. Unlike a jelly roll that is cake like, the torta de laranja is almost like a pudding roll, if you will 😀 The only ‘flour’ is two teaspoons of cornstarch and there is no filling.
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
200ml orange juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
200 gr sugar
finely grated orange rind of one orange
sugar to sprinkle on baking sheet, cloth and top of torte (if desired)
1. Preheat the oven to 355°.
2. Dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice.
3. Mix the eggs with the sugar. Then add orange rind and orange juice containing cornstarch. Combine well but don’t whisk too hard (attempt avoiding air bubbles to form).
3. Butter (or use cooking spray) and line a Swiss roll tray (I used a 15” baking sheet) with parchment paper. Then butter (or use cooking spray) the parchment paper, as well, and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Pour the mixture onto the tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until the torte is firm.
5. Turn torte onto a slightly damp, clean cloth sprinkled with sugar.
6. Roll carefully with the help of the cloth and place on serving dish. (More times then not, the roll will crack but that is normal, the taste will still be delicious!) Best served cold. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy this recipe!